Columbia is the capital as well as the largest city of South Carolina. The city serves as the region seat of Richland County and a bit of the city stretches out into neighboring Lexington County. It is the focal point of the Columbia metropolitan statistical zone.
The city is found roughly 21 KM northwest of the geographic point of South Carolina and it is the main city of the Midlands district of the state. It is located at the intersection of the Saluda River and the Broad River, which converge at Columbia to frame the Congaree River. In 1860, it was the area of the South Carolina Secession Convention which denoted the departure of the main state from the Union in the occasions paving the way to the Civil War.
POPULATION OF COLUMBIA South Carolina IN 2017:
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Columbia in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –132,094
- 2013 –133,358
- 2014 –134,090
- 2015 –133,803
- 2016 – 134,289
The population of Columbia in 2017 is forecasted to be 134,289 + 519 = 134,808. So, the population of Columbia in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 134,808.
Columbia Population 2017 – 134,808 (estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF COLUMBIA:
As of the evaluation of 2010, there were 129,272 individuals and 22,638 families living in the city. There were 46,142 lodging units at an average density of 368.5 per square mile. The racial combination of the city was 51.27% White, 42.20% African American, 2.20% Asian, 0.30% Pacific Islander and 2.00% from two or more races. Hispanic of any race were about 4.30% of the the city’s population.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF COLUMBIA:
The population density of the city is 377.5 persons per square kilometer. The population growth rate of the city has been going at a fine rate and one of the reason for that is the growing number of immigration. It has been estimated that the city is going to go through a high population growth rate, which will lead to more number of people living in the city.
FACTS ABOUT COLUMBIA:
- Out of all the college halls in the country, Columbia’s Havemeyer 309 lecture hall is the venue where most of the Hollywood movies like, as Spiderman, Kinsey and others were shot here.
- In May 1540, a Spanish endeavor drove by Hernando de Soto crossed what is presently Columbia while moving northward. The campaign delivered the earliest written verifiable records of the territory, which was a piece of the regional Cofitachequi chiefdom.
- A few organizations have their global headquarters in Columbia, incorporating Colonial Life and Accident Insurance Company, the second-biggest supplemental insurance agency in the country.
- Town Theater is the nation’s oldest community theater in consistent use. Situated a block from the University of South Carolina, its playhouse is recorded on the National Register of Historic Places. Since the year 1917, the theater has created plays and musicals of wide broad appeal.
- The area’s most mainstream park, Finlay Park has facilitated pretty much everything from celebrations and political rallies to street races and Easter Sunrise administrations. The park fell into dilapidation after the Civil War and served as a site for business wanders until the late twentieth century.
Read Latest Columbia Population in 2018