Providence is the capital and also the populated city of Rhode Island. Established in 1636, it is one of the oldest urban communities in the United States. The city got to be noted for its silverware and jewelry industry. Today, it is home to seven institutions and eight hospitals, which has moved the city’s economy into service industries, however despite everything it holds huge manufacturing activity. The city was established by Roger Williams, a religious outcast from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The city is experiencing a high population growth rate and it is the fastest growing city in the state. One of the reason is immigration.
POPULATION OF PROVIDENCE IN 2017:
Talking about population, in order to check out the population of Providence in 2017, we need to have a look at the population of the past 5 years. They are as per the following:
- 2012 –178,247
- 2013 –177,994
- 2014 –177,743
- 2015 –177,974
- 2016 – 178,205
The population of Providence in 2017 is forecasted to be 178,205 + 231 = 178,436. So, the population of Providence in the year 2017 as per estimated data = 178,436.
Providence Population 2017 – 178,436 (estimated)
DEMOGRAPHY OF PROVIDENCE:
In 2010, individuals of Hispanic origin consisted 27.8% of the its population. The biggest Hispanic gatherings are those having origins in Colombia, Dominican Republic and Guatemala. Hispanics are mostly there in the areas of Elmwood, Upper, and Lower South Providence. The city chose its first Hispanic mayor in the year 2010.
POPULATION DENSITY AND GROWTH OF PROVIDENCE:
The population density of Providence is 3736 persons per square kilometer. The latest U.S. Enumeration numbers demonstrate that newcomers to Rhode Island are moving to Providence. The Census Bureau reported that the city is the quickest developing city, having a .3 percent expansion that conveys the quantity of occupants to Providence.
The population in the city is ascending at a fast pace and one of the reason is relocation from various parts of the United States. It is expected that the city will have a tremendous population growth rate in the coming years as well.
FACTS ABOUT PROVIDENCE:
- The Biltmore Hotel is viewed as the most haunted spot in Providence because of the score of homicides amid Prohibition years. The lodging served as motivation for Steven King’s Overlook Hotel.
- It is home to the First Baptist Church in America, which has been around since the year 1775.
- The city was able remain moderately untouched all through the American Revolution in light of the fact that the city unreservedly traded with both sides of the contention.
- Rhode Island was initially settled in 1636 by Roger Williams under the name Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, which is currently still the official state name. Providence Plantation was the core of the new state.
- The territory that is presently Providence was initially settled in June 1636 by Roger Williams and was one of the first Thirteen Colonies of the United States. Williams and his organization felt constrained to pull back from Massachusetts Bay Colony. They were welcomed by the Narragansetts on rocks close to present-day Gano Street with the welcome they looked for shelter with the Narragansett tribe at a spot on the banks of a salt inlet, as the head of the Narragansett invited them.
Now find the latest population of Providence in 2019 here